Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Hoarders

Things come and go. There is no such thing that is permanent in this world. But some people want  things to be there till they are breathing and alive. Things that brings memories or things that they think its worth keeping for. Some people think its trash but for them its treasures. Its start from one thing until it gets to the point that it will buried them alive. They collect and collect but never select. They are normal people outside but they are hoarders inside.

I have never heard of the word "hoarder" when I was in the Philippines. I may not know some words but I guess I just never encountered or seen a hoarder when I was there. I learned about it when I got here. I saw on TV about it. They show people's houses with so much stuff in it whether its rotting food, animals, animal's feces, things, etc. Keeping and stocking things make their houses so horrible till they only have a small space for them to be alive. Sometimes they need to vacate the house because its filled up with so much things. Things that makes them feel secure and happy.

I thought I will only see on TV about people who are hoarders but one day hubby thought of introducing me to his friend. So we went to their house and made a surprise visit. His friend came out and hubby introduced me to her. When we went inside their house I was greeted by her mother. They were nice people and happy for us. As hubby and her friend were talking I couldn't help myself from looking around the house. I was telling myself how they can live there and not clean it. Hubby showed me her friend's doll collection and her friend said there's more in her room. In my surprised, I saw a room full of things. I didn't want to get inside but for respect I went inside and pretended there's nothing there but some doll collections. I judged her but when I learned about hoarders I felt sorry for her and for people who have that issues.

According to wikipedia, compulsive hoarding (or pathological hoarding or disposophobia) is the excessive acquisition of possessions (and failure to use or discard them), even if the items are worthless, hazardous, or unsanitary. Compulsive hoarding impairs mobility and interferes with basic activities, including cooking, cleaning, showering, and sleeping. A person who engages in compulsive hoarding is commonly said to be a "pack rat," in reference to that animal's characteristic hoarding.

Here are some pictures of hoarders' houses:

 













0 comments:

Post a Comment